I didn’t do anything hobby related during November. November was spent doing NaNoWriMo and very little else. So, what better way to get into the swing of things than having an adventuring party search a ruined temple complex while looking for a dungeon entrance? I have the miniatures for the adventuring party, but need more dungeon low-lifes, minions and ruins. I spent about four and a half hours over the last three days building four ruined walls – one brick at a time. That’s right, the Floozy laid bricks.
The inspiration came from Black Magic Craft, Building Modular Ruins where he builds a set of ruined walls using tiny foam bricks – 1/4″x1/4″x1/2″ to be exact. The only difference between Jeremy’s build and mine is that he used a Proxon Hot Wire Table Cutter to make his bricks while I only had a ruler and a knife.
I cut out a boatload of foam bricks and weathered them. Sorry, I didn’t bother to count them. Then, I built the walls much the same way a real life brick layer would using hot glue as the mortar.
I built two three inch long walls, one six inch long wall and one L-shaped wall with one side six inches long and the other, three inches long. To keep the walls from tipping over during game play, I built a small pile of rubble on one side of the walls. This way one side can butt up against dungeon tiles in addition to being stand alone scatter terrain.
Once the walls were assembled, I sealed each piece of terrain with a coat of Modpodge and black paint. I allowed this to dry overnight before painting.
The terrain pieces were painted Raw Sienna followed with a heavy dry brush of Khaki and a light dry brush of Antique White. The paint used were craft paints and not the more expensive paints I use for miniatures.
After the paint dried, I applied a heavy black wash and a final highlight of Quarry Pebble, a light gray. Then all that was left to do was to apply a few tufts and flock to the bases.
To showcase the ruins, I took pictures of the ruins as scatter terrain, pictures of the ruins with home made dungeon tiles and finally with commercial dungeon tiles. The figures used for size comparison are all 28mm from Reaper Miniatures.
Now that I have some crumbling walls, it’s time to paint a few miniatures. It was a little bit tedious building the walls one brick at a time, but I really like the way they turned out. I not really that good at terrain building, so if I can do it, then truly anyone can build these simple walls.
Your comments are important to me, they inspire me to push on in this hobby. Even criticism is good, because I can learn from it.
No floozies were harmed in the making of this post. However, I got my hair done the day before I started this project and she cut it a little shorter than usual – I’m finding the December air to be a bit chilly on the back of my neck.